Friday, July 16, 2010

The Gift of Wonderment

One of the things that I most love about photography is how it develops your eye. Since I have begun taking pictures, I have noticed that I pay more attention to the world around me. I notice that strange bird perched high on the roof top, or that piece of concrete that is a different colour than the others, or the strange light that is coming from an unknown source. It has given me the gift of taking the time to be an active part of my surroundings, so much so, that I do it even when I don't have a camera in my hand (and usually in those moments I wish that I did).
I have been immersed for the last two weeks in inspirational discussions about teaching and learning. One of the main points that so many of us seemed to echo, was that children often lose (or get trained out of) that sense of wonderment and discovery as they get older. What a sad thought as a teacher. But, I have been pleasantly surprised in myself, that I still hold a small piece of this in my curiosity and observations of the world, especially when I am taking pictures.
So here are a few of my favourite shots that show ordinary objects through a slightly less ordinary perspective.

Tutus

Tree bark

Seeds

Twisted Fallen Tree

P.S. As a side note, all the inspirational discussion I have been privileged to be a part of over the last two weeks has actually inspired me to start another blog (well, the thought is there anyway, cause we all know how good I am at keeping up on postings). I will keep you posted if it ever comes to life.

2 comments:

  1. Great shots! I especially love the tutu one - the colour is stunning and the crinoline makes it feel dreamlike.

    ReplyDelete